Thursday 12 January 2012

The power of music - part 2

It was a lovely morning for a run along the seafront today and I managed an easy 1 hour Z2 session to Hove Lagoon and back to the office (about 11.5 km).

As per similar sessions I plugged myself in to my iPhone and listened to an amusing fitness podcast I downloaded from iTunes featuring Jillian Michaels (high profile coach from Biggest Loser), which lasted about 40 mins. For the last 20 mins of the workout I stuck on some of my top running tunes and once again my pace suddenly picked up (as mentioned in a previous post).

It was then when I started thinking - should I compile a 4-5 hour playlist of not only my favourites tunes but possibly include inspirational words from sportspeople that I admire, my friends, family and even one or more messages to myself. If I could access the playlist on a small iPod device and play it during the marathon of Ironman Austria (if that was even allowed) it could be very powerful.

For example, hearing my children's voices (unfortunately they will not be there in Austria) at strategic times, i.e. every hour of the run, could significantly lift my spirits at the inevitable low points of the race. Hearing my own voice congratulating myself on a job well done and a reminder on how far I have come could also be of great value.

This strategy, if applied, together with the fantastic crowd support you expect to get from a full Ironman event could potentially be the difference between a 4 or 5 hour marathon.

If anyone has ever used music and/or motivational words to help them in any endurance event I would love to hear your experience.

Update to post (after a Google or two): Although many runners use iPods / headphones in marathon events they are not recommended. Apparently for full sponsored Ironman events there is a 4 min penalty every time you get caught and three strikes and you are out - disqualified. Oh well, nice idea, but I am just going to have to do it the hard way - lots of training. May be I should practice visualisation - one topic for a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment