Tuesday 24 January 2012

Good hill work - on the singlespeed!

A slightly wet but enjoyable commute into work this morning.

To mix things up a little I decided to take a longer more hilly route into Brighton. My journey took me past Steyning to Bramber and then over the rollercoaster terrain of Edburton, Fulking and Poynings before hitting the bigger hills that took me over the top of Devils Dyke into Brighton.

The route is not new for me, however this was the first time I was to attempt it on my singlespeed bike (no gears, simply leg power required).

My strategy was simple, easy on the straights (zone 1), coast or easy spin down the hills, saving all my energy for the uphills.

All went to plan, although it got pretty tough at Devils Dyke - feel the burn! I focussed on not trying not to engage the back in anyway and making the legs doing all the work. For most of the bigger hills I was out of the saddle but I enjoyed the mix of low cadence uphill work and faster spinning downhill - a good training session!

The last 15 mins was quite relaxing - mostly all down hill from Devils Dyke via Dyke road to the office in Brighton. Just timed it right as the sun was rising and trying to brighten up the day.

Shower, breakfast and quickly type up the blog - all before 8:45am - what a way to start the day.

Probably back home tonight via the normal (less hilly) coast roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment