Sunday 8 January 2012

A good week for volume - bad for keeping to the plan

Another week of training completed:

6 hours 15 mins on the bike
2 hours 30 mins swim
1 hour run

Total 9 hours 45 mins (compared to 8.5 hours on the plan).

So success as far as the volume but yet another week where I have not followed the plan - so why have one?

Well, I know that if I want to get any better at this sport I need to focus on more specific sessions, especially as the season progresses and I move from base to build training. Otherwise I know that I am just going to plateau with the training and end up doing too many sessions in my normal comfort zone. If the volume is maintained then I still expect to be fit enough to complete the Ironman, however I am more likely to hit 13-14 hours than 12-13, which is my ultimate goal.

So I am going to persevere with the plan and as previously highlighted get some professional help to ensure that first it is the right plan and second that I keep to it.

Anyway, back to today's activity. I was planning a run but at the last minute an opportunity came up to ride with a few of the boys from the Tri Club - too good an offer to turn down. Most of the ride was zone 1-2 although there was a bit of zone 3-4 on the hills. My heart rate remains pretty low on the bike - average 119 bpm today (average zone 2.4) - the data and route can be found on the Garmin link below:

Sunday ride - Tri Club by dbpegler at Garmin Connect - Details

Once I have had some testing I can double check my HR zones are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment