Tuesday 10 January 2012

Disaster stikes - always be prepared

It was a beautiful morning and I was up for a pleasant commute to work on my singlespeed stallion. About 10km into the journey I had the horrible feeling that all was not right with the bike - the ride was getting increasingly bumpy.

Of course, it wasn't long before I realised a puncture was the problem. Not to worry, all good training, I had mended many punctures in the past and I had spare tyres, levers etc. so good to go.

Well, I thought I came fully prepared, however... A singlespeed bike does not have drop out wheels and the normal skewer system. They are 'old-school' and have a bolt. So you guessed it, where is my spanner? Answer - in the garage. Oh dear!

So I had to go with Plan B - call Mrs P for rescue! Fortunately, she was available to come and get me and took me home. As I was now running late for work I resorted to taking the car and re-scheduling my bike commute for another day. Meanwhile, I made a note to buy a spare singlespeed spanner to carry with me on future rides.

I did manage a swim today at lunchtime- a simple 400m warm-up, 12x 100m (alternating between fast cadence and long relaxed front crawl) and 400m cool down to make a total of 2km.

Back home tonight, to fix a puncture, and hopefully time for a turbo session before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment