Sunday 24 June 2012

Result of River swim race

Managed a personal best (PB) on Saturday afternoon at the Ironman distance Arun river swim.

Took it relatively easy but maintained a steady pace and was generally pleased with my performance. The organisers got the timing right on the tides and with a bit of wind assistance as well it was always going to be a relatively fast race.

I made every effort to draft off the feet of some stronger swimmers in front of me, albeit most of the ones I selected never seemed to swim straight. As a result I seemed to do a lot of zig-zagging, which couldn't have helped. The only other negative was a bit of cramp in the last 500m of the race in my right leg.

My time was 1:04:00, which was an improvement of over 4 minutes on my effort last year, although I expect the conditions were a little more favourable as most of my HAT Club team mates clocked better times.

Special mention to Nick who still holds the course record but came 4th on Saturday with a time of 0:48:42. Matt came in at 1:00:54. All the girls did well but Clare stood out at 1:01:35.

All in all a great event and a good turn out from the Club.

At least I know I can complete the 3.8km swim OK - it would be great to get the same time for next week - unlikely as no strong tides to help. However all good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment