Sunday 10 June 2012

Getting my nutrition right - long brick session

So today was my epic brick session.

Not very practical to do an early morning open water swim so started with the bike.

4 hours and 110km later I arrived home. Fortunately had Matt for company on this long ride. We kept the pace pretty easy but included a bit of hill work (Leith Hill being the longest climb). As we were a little worried about the weather we left the tri bikes at home and opted for the road bikes.

I think I am perfecting the nutrition during these long rides. Pictured is my little picnic that I cycled with on my top bar for easy access (that is my hand displaying the Power Bar Shots packet - not a great picture!)

For 4 hours I cut up 2 energy bars into about 8 pieces each (Cliff peanut butter and oak & raisin are my favourite). I then have 2 packs of Power Bar Shots (lemon and cola), which I believe are equivalent to approx. 1.5 standard gels each. I eat the bars first as I prefer something solid in my belly before I start on the sweet stuff. Today I had 2 water bottles, one with an electrolyte drink and the other with water and a pinch of salt. The power shots are easily consumed on the bike - no messing around with sachets and getting sticky. For my longer Ironman ride I will pick up more Power Shots at the feed stations.

For my 2:19 run that followed (25km in distance) I switched to energy gels and water. Given my weight I would normally expect to consume 1 every 30mins however my belly struggles with that many, simply too much sugar for me. I probably will have one an hour taken with some water - hope that does the trick.

Today's epic brick ended with 1,500m swim in the lake - no nutrition, although I had drunk a nice chocolate protein shake beforehand.

To be honest with all those gels, bars and electrolyte drinks I was pleased to get home and sample my eldest daughter's food - she had cooked a chicken and chorizo dish with potatoes - I think one of Nigella's recipes - very tasty. This was followed by plum crumble and ice cream - lovely. I think after a 7 hour training day I deserve that - thanks Emma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment