Monday 4 June 2012

A good weekend of training - 7 hours in the bank

Saturday morning began with the Club swim - an hour with the main set being 6x 200m. A coffee, some toast, and a chat with the guys and we were ready for the next stage - a 4 hour bike session on the TT bikes.

I was joined by Chris, Matt and Ray - all strong cyclists so the pace was top-end. We averaged over 30km per hour for the full session, which included the warm up, cool down and a few slower sections through town centres and country roads. On the longer flatter stretches it was nearer 35 - 40 km per hour, which for any length of time was slightly higher than my comfort level. However the boys didn't mind me tagging onto the back - it is amazing how much energy you conserve hanging on to the back of someone's wheel. Shame it is disallowed in the Ironman event!

After the cycle ride it was back home for a well deserved protein shake, quick shower and then out to a friend's Jubilee party, keeping the alcohol to a minimum - big run in the morning.

So Sunday it was on with running shoes and a 2 hour plus run in the rain. The goal was to run an hour on a flat to rolling surface in zone 1-2 and then to return back a little quicker (i.e. a negative split). After about 75 minutes my legs did feel a little tired. The power of music helped me to get back in the zone changing my triathlon podcast for some inspirational running tunes. Generally I felt quite strong and with the right sounds on my iPod managed the return leg in 58 mins - job done!

The legs felt pretty good considering I had accumulated 7 hours of swim, bike and run training over the last 2 days. A few simple stretches and I was ready for the day ahead.

Training Peaks links with stats and distances:

Saturday ride: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/VXDTA24W32JXHPHTDMOZUA5LHI

Sunday run: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/737S2DMLOQ6BJNSBQFPZMIVY5Y

No comments:

Post a Comment