Thursday 1 March 2012

So what is training for an Ironman really like?

As I turn over my 220Triathlon Calendar in the office another time I quickly calculate that I have now been training for my Ironman challenge for 3 months and I have around 4 months left (or 3 months and 2 weeks if you exclude a fortnight taper).

Back in December it was typically 8-10 hours of training per week, relatively easy Z1-2 sessions building up the base and following a simple plan. Now I am in the heavier build part of the plan averaging 13-14 hours when hardly a day goes past when I am not doing at least 1 to 2 sessions. Of course now I am being professionally coached.

So how do I feel and what is training for an Ironman really like?

Previously I don't believe I was qualified to answer such a question but now possibly I can....

The first thing you notice is that your body has a general ache about it - nothing painful and sometimes hardly noticeable but it feels like you have just done some training, which of course you normally have! The only difference is that previously it would have generally disappeared before the next session but as the training sessions get more frequent it never really does. Up to now it has no effect on my overall performance and I have been able to complete all the sessions pretty much as instructed. My Coach carefully plans the sessions so I do not have heavy sets one after another and given that I am over 40 recommends a lower volume week every 3.

I have been told by some of the guys from the Club that are seasoned Ironmen that what I am feeling is pretty normal and actually is proof that the training is going well. You should feel some effect but have always have enough in the tank to complete the next session. That is why it is so important to mix some higher intensity workouts with lighter recovery ones. I understand that the 2-week taper before the event is when the feeling of constant training starts to disappear leaving you in great shape for the big event - that is the theory!

The other point of interest about Ironman training that I would like to highlight is that you become more and more innovative of finding time to complete the sessions. You just end up accepting you will probably have to fit 1-2 sessions in during the day and always thinking ahead about how you are going to achieve that goal. It does mean that there is certainly less time to simply chill and plonk yourself down in front of the TV after a hard day in the office.

There is no doubt that Ironman training can put pressure on family time but fortunately I have an understanding wife and children that are very supportive. I do make an effort to do more with them when I am not training or working, however there are times when you know you are 'pushing your luck' i.e. when a 3 hour bike ride turns into 4 to 4.5 hours for whatever reasons - setting up bike beforehand, punctures, cleaning bike afterwards, having a chat with the guys on a group ride, taking a shower and fuelling afterwards etc, etc....

Some friends that are aware of the level of my training are amazed I am not always tired. To be honest not training actually makes me lethargic and I feel much more alive and ready for the day after a session, especially in the morning. Saying that, after the 4 hour bike ride and 20 mins run last Sunday I was not up for much during the rest of the day. Sleep is obviously important - I am fortunate that I do not need 8 hours every day; however I am normally ready for bed by 10pm.

Generally I am still enjoying the whole experience and one day when I am looking back I am sure the journey will be more memorable than the ultimate goal itself (hence the reason for the blog!).

Would I do it again? Well early days - I still have a long way to go. However, I think 'Yes' but this is definitely not going to be an annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment