Wednesday 14 March 2012

Little energy for the Club Swim tonight

I was pleased with my training yesterday - 2 hours of gentle Z1-2 recovery riding (commute to work and back on the singlespeed) and a successful tempo run with 30 min in Z3 at a steady pace of 4:55 per km.

Today was a more energy-sapping lactate threshold ride, which I decided to complete on the Tri bike and turbo. After a warm up and short high spin session the Coach instructed me to perform 6 sets of (5 min hard @ lactate threshold HR + 3 min Z2 recovery). These sessions aim to push your LT higher, mine currently around a HR of 150.

I struggled to get up to LT and the best I could do was Z4 (mid 140s). I am getting better compared to my previous attempts although still need further practice. After I finished my legs were feeling quite heavy and generally fatigued. So I was not hoping for too much at the Club swim tonight!

The swim was relatively gentle with lots of drill sets but even so I was lagging 30 mins in and was thinking about calling it a day. The Coach appeared quite pleased putting the fatigue down to a good couple of previous sessions when I worked hard. I did manage to finish the swim but dropped down a lane for the last 15 mins.

Now it is time for bed for a bit of rest and recovery - tomorrow's another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment