Tuesday 6 March 2012

10 miles on the treadmill

Tonight's test set was a 10 mile run at IM race pace. As I got home late - still on my tax course in London - I decided to give the old treadmill a go, so stuck on a few tunes on the iPod and after a short warm up settled down to a steady pace of around 5:30 kph (just over 9 min mile).

I started to regret my decision after about 30mins in. I had never run for 10 miles (16km) on the treadmill and suddenly realised it was going to a long night of staring at the garage wall.

Anyway, finally I reached my target distance. I felt OK but was unsure if I had completed the session on the road whether my stats would be of considerable difference (HR, cadence, pace, etc.)

In 1:28 I had run 10 miles with an average pace of 5:30 kph, which equates to a 4 hour 4 min IM marathon time (that would be great but maybe a bit of a stretch on the day). My cadence was a little lower than normal (80 spm) and my HR average was in Z3 throughout.

I expect that is not the last time I will have to complete this particular test. At least it gives me a benchmark; although I cannot see me doing such a long session on the treadmill again.

Club Swim tomorrow. May have to defer bike session to Thursday when I am back to my normal Brighton commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment