Thursday 29 March 2012

An Ironman distance swim in the bank

So far so good this week...

The faster cadence running is helping me to improve the speed with generally less effort and greater emphasis on riding the time-trial / triathlon bike is getting me used to the more aero position - all good stuff.

Last night the Club Swim ended up being a bit of an epic session. After a long warm-up (600m + 8x 50m) I was asked to join all the other club members competing in an Ironman this year in Lane 1 to complete 10x 200m at IM pace with 0:15 rest in between each set. Most of the swimmers were Lane 1 and 2 swimmers and were averaging around 3:00 to 3:15 for 200m at IM pace. I focussed on a pace that I thought I could keep up for the full 2000m, which was around 3:25-3:35 per 200m. The laps were pretty consistent, around 3:30, occasionally I had to let the faster swimmers pass me. They lapped me a number of times and after they finished I still had 250m to complete.

Thereafter, the Coach asked us to do a final set of 16x 50m to make a grand total of 3.8km (Ironman distance!). We were allowed to use toys for the last 800m. Initially I grabbed the fins, which I love to swim with, however the Coach instructed me to focus on upper body strength so I ended using paddles for the majority of the final set.

All in all a good swim set. Woke up this morning and didn't feel to fatigued, which was good, as I had a 1:15 bike this morning - Z1-2 warm up then Z3-4 pushing a big gear. Strength training tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment