Thursday 10 May 2012

Test week – progress so far

So after the big volume week I have a few test sessions planned…

Monday started poorly – I had a swim in the diary but the pool was shut for Bank Holiday. Not too worry – at least 3-4 swims planned for later in the week. Chill day with the family.

Tuesday I was on the TT bike clamped in the turbo in the ‘Cave of Pain’ – not much pain though, just couldn’t get into the session. The instructions were to complete a 20 min warm up then 5x (1 min hard in ‘big gear’ + 1 min easy spin). Thereafter the main set was 30 min tempo work where the last 20 min would be used to test the ‘lactate threshold’ heart rate (LTHR). The idea of the set was to push it and get into Z4+. My effort was closer to high Z2 – no commitment. The speed and power were decent enough and higher than race pace but way off what I did in the test 3 weeks ago. I finished the overall set with a 20 min transition run on the treadmill (rolling program).

Yesterday evening it was in the pool for the long Club Swim – as per usual I had to jump into lane 1 with the faster swimmers and those club members training for an Ironman in 2012. The set was as follows: 1,000m easy warm up, 5x 500m descending times (i.e. getting harder each set), then 8x 25m sprints (95% effort), and a cool down. All in all another 3.8km swim. My 500m sets were pretty consistent (between 8:45-8:59) although I didn’t get the pace right to descend the sets as instructed. I was pleased that I am doing the distance on a regular basis will no ill-effects and still have enough fuel in the tank for some sprint sets. I treated myself to a nice Chocolate protein shake to replenish my carbohydrate stores and repair some of the damage ready for my LTHR run session, which was next.

So that brings up to date and this morning’s LTHR run. Despite the horrible conditions (heavy wind and rain) I ran along the seafront – normal plan: 10-15 warm up, then 30 min tempo run (quite hard – well above IM race pace). The last 20 min being used to test LTHR. Actually the rain and wind was not a hindrance and helped to cool me down. I ran relatively well with an average speed over the last 20 min of 4:36mins per km, LTHR of 150 and cadence of 90 steps per minute. This is very similar to my results 3 weeks ago, however that was one of my best tests.

So another opportunity to jump into the lake this afternoon (after last week’s failed attempt) – mad I know. If I can dodge the storms and thunder / lightening that are forecast I am sure I will be OK!

Friday is a rest day – Yehh!

Saturday – a mega-session of 6-7 hours DIY half-IM distance swim, bike and run.

Sunday – more rest I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment