Thursday 31 May 2012

Feeling a little better - zoom along the seafront

The nasty 'Man Flu' was still with me on Wednesday morning, however I managed to complete my interval run session as instructed. By the late afternoon I had little energy and with the prospect of a 1:30 Club Swim ahead I decided that it was best to give it a miss and try and get an early night.

After a slightly better night when I managed to get nearly 7 hours sleep I certainly felt a little better this morning. The proposed session for today was a tempo session in aero position. There was however a complication in that I had to drop my wife's car off at Peacehaven. To make best use of the training time I had available today I threw my bike in the back of the car and got in my ride around the coast roads around Brighton and Peacehaven. I was surprised how both hilly and busy the route was so headed for the undercliff pass that runs from Saltdean to Brighton via the Marina - not that long but very quiet and flat, albeit a little bumpy in places. What I do love is cycling so close to the sea - something quite calming - I almost forgot I was supposed to be doing a relatively hard session. Still somewhat in recovery mode I didn't push it too much .

I came out of a client meeting at 5pm only to find a message from the garage where I left the car that it was ready and needed to be collected before they closed at 5:30pm. After a quick change, powered down the computer, tidy desk etc. and on my bike the watch said 5:20pm. I didn't have my Garmin with me but I knew I had a good 8-10km ride to complete in 10mins, which even if I hit the flat undercliff pass again I still had one significant hill climb - Mission Impossible!

Well I might not have completed the distance in 10mins (probably nearer 15 mins) but I did zoom and must have averaged 40kmph, including a hill climb and a bit of traffic getting out of the centre of Brighton.

Not bad for an old boy like me with the latter stages of the dreaded 'Man Flu':

No comments:

Post a Comment