Wednesday 2 May 2012

Mid week update

Just returned home from the Club swim - another long session: 400m warm up, main set of 3x 1,000m, then 8x 25m sprints and 200m cool down - if by magic - 3.8km in total (IM distance). My 1,000m sets were not overly fast, however I can now keep a relatively constant pace. I also am managing to zone out focusing on different elements of my stroke, which makes the time go more quickly. Coach MT recommends this as a good technique for race day, focus on one element of your stroke at a time keeping a nice steady pace. He would prefer I lose 5-10 mins of the swim but come out the water relatively relaxed and with plenty of energy for the long bike and run ahead.

Otherwise I am nicely on track this week completing all the sessions so far as instructed, including quite a tough cadence set on the turbo this morning.

Tomorrow is a faster interval / stride set followed later in the day by a possible open water session in the local lake. I have my wetsuit ready but am still unsure whether it will work out as planned. We always have a bit of fun and games organising open water swims, mostly trying to adhere to the local council's rules, which I suppose are there for our safety, albeit it appears to get more and more complicated each year.

It's back on the bike on Friday before the longer weekend sessions. Let's hope for clear skies and a bit of sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment