Saturday 12 May 2012

Mega-session complete + crash-test dummy

So mega brick session today...

Started with a 1:00 club swim this morning focusing on open water skills - fast race starts and swimming on feet.

Within the hour (journey home + quick change) I was on my TT bike for a 3:00 race pace session. It was also an opportunity to try out the aero helmet (sonic the hedgehog) and practice some race nutrition. I met up with Paul and Danny from the Club and we maintained a keen pace (30km per hour plus) even on a rolling course.

The only real drama was when I looked behind to see if Paul was OK only to find my front wheel veer into the pavement. I was catapulted over the top of the bike but fortunately rolled onto my right shoulder and only suffered a bit of 'road rash'. The bike was also OK - I cannot believe I got away with it so easily - that could of been the end of my Ironman dreams there and then - what a plonker!

At 3 hours into the ride I had done exactly 90 km, which was bang on my target (somewhere around 6 hours for the full Ironman would be great). If we had planned the route better I should have stopped then however I was still someway from home. Finally ended up doing around 105km in 3:30.

Quick chicken wrap and a protein bar and I was back out on the street this time for a 1:30 run at race pace. Despite the earlier hard sessions and a slightly painful shoulder I managed to keep a relatively decent pace and completed the run as instructed.

After a chocolate protein shake I was back in the groove - this time tackling cutting the lawn, which was more like a jungle after the recent rain.

And after that - well 'cream-crackered' I was!

Going to enjoy a lie in tomorrow morning for a change and take it nice and easy, although hope to get in the lake again for an easy swim in the afternoon.

Final words before bed - glad to see Matt back today at the Club swim - an amazing recovery after breaking his neck - he swam today! And finally - good luck to Chris in his 70.3 event in the New Forest tomorrow - he will be in the lake at 5:30am - now that's commitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment