Sunday 27 May 2012

Dress Rehearsal - 160km in the saddle

Been a bit of an epic weekend.

Friday night - tough Zone 3 session on the turbo in the 'Cave of Pain' - sweating buckets!
Saturday - Club swim (open-water skills + 1,500m test) + 1:30 easy ride
Sunday - 5:30 cycle on tri bikes + 20 mins transition run + 1,500m lake swim



The total for the week was over 17 hours - I think that is my record. The training is getting much more specific now with instructions from Coach MT to use the same bikes, clothes, tri kit, and nutrition that we are going to use on the day.

This morning started at 7:30am when I met my old training buddy and neighbour (Chris - pictured above) who had worked out a route for a 5 hour bike session. We headed down to the coast past Bognor Regis and stopped after 2:30 at Chichester Marina (where these pictures were taken). Thereafter it was back via Arundel, Worthing and then home.

After just over 5 hours and 1-2 km from home, Chris informed me that we were 10 miles off of 100 miles so we kept on going to reach the magic number. In total 5:26 and 160km (101 miles in the bank) - not far off an Ironman bike distance.

It was great cycling with Chris - I would have hated to do that bike session on my own. He is getting very strong in his overall training and preparation. While I can now quite comfortably hold 30-35km per hour in the aero position for some length of time, Chris can push it 10%+ higher than that. He is off on a training camp with the Coach in a fortnight's time so I expect him to be even fitter on his return, just in time for the taper and IM Austria to follow.

For those interested in the route and stats here is a link to Training Peaks:

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/NM7FNYUNB4CR3F5JT2IAGTWHAI

Another couple more heavy weeks await - more on that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment