Saturday 3 December 2011

Countdown: 30 weeks from Monday - Base training begins!

Enjoyed an early morning Club Swim today with all the guys. Hopefully I will join them tomorrow for another session, this time on the mountain bikes - the South Downs awaits!

So the day is fast approaching - 30 weeks to Ironman Austria - Base training begins (slowly) on Monday.

My weakness over the last 2-3 years since getting into the sport of triathlon is the lack of a structured program. That is not to say that I have not managed to achieve a reasonable level of fitness, however I do feel that I have reached a bit of a plateau. As previously highlighted I know my easy and hard sessions blend into a similar range (comfort zone), which potentially leads to 'junk miles'. With time an important and sometime limiting factor (family time and work also need to be incorporated) I need to ensure that all the sessions are adding value and moving me towards my goal - in this case completing the Ironman in a reasonable time (under 12.5 hours) with a smile on my face.

I have done a bit of research into Ironman training plans over the last couple of months. There is plenty to choose from - there are the 'off the shelf' versions available in books, magazines and the Internet (some free to access) and then at the other end of the spectrum there are full coaching programs, tailored to your specific needs and individual requirements.

Given that I have spent quite a bit of money entering Ironman Austria (close on £500 - ouch!) and then the additional cost of getting there (probably another £500) I was initially a bit reluctant to go down the full tailored coaching route. However, then there is the argument that you have spent the money to enter - at the very least you need to give yourself every advantage to train properly and hiring a coach could be the very best investment I make.

My final decision is a little bit of both. The intention is to start the base training following an 'off the shelf' plan - the Competitive Program listed in Don Fink's best selling book 'Be Iron Fit: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness'. During December I also plan to have an introductory session with the Club's Coach (Mark Tickner - http://www.coach4tri.com) - some max Vo2 testing on the bike, bike set-up and analysis of training zones.

I then expect to explore the options of coaching for 6 months from Jan- Jun and will also follow up with further testing and probably a few training sessions with the Coach and some of the Club members, who have also entered Ironman Austria. This is in addition to the regular coached swimming sessions (2-3 times a week).

My next post will cover my first week of base training and detail my current heart rate zones (basic calculation). For those interested in taking a look at Don Fink's book the Amazon link is listed below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Iron-Fit-Time-Efficient-Training/dp/1599218577/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322921837&sr=8-1


No comments:

Post a Comment