Tuesday 6 December 2011

Great track session

Base training has begun... The plan tonight was an hour run on the track with the Tri Club (HAT). I normally follow the expert guidance of our running coach, Tony, who always has a good, relatively hard, session in mind.

Tonight, however, was a little different - I was invited to join Chris (HAT member, good friend and neighbour - also training for IM Austria) who was trying out the first run session in a personalised program designed specifically for him. Chris is a much stronger swimmer and cyclist than me but our run pace and endurance is similar, albeit my technique probably needs a bit more work than his. Anyway given our similar running ability I agreed to keep him company.

We actually covered the warm up, brief drill set, dynamic stretching and build section with Tony and the rest of HAT. The main set was simply 8x 800m at a moderately steady race pace.

Chris and I were both really pleased that each 800m set was completed within a couple of seconds of each other, our average being about 3:26.

Apparently the average time for 800m can be roughly estimated as your marathon time in hours and minutes (i.e 3:26). That would be good - my PB is 3:45.

Anyway a great session - really impressed with the consistency across all 8 sets.

I expect Chris will be inputting the data into Training Peaks and has the advantage of feedback from the Club Coach (Mark Tickner - Coach4Tri) - a service I am keen to know more about.

For me, it was home for a bit of my wife's wonderful chicken Risotto and homemade brownie for dessert - well deserved after a hard but rewarding track session.

Club swim tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment