Sunday 4 December 2011

Getting muddy on the South Downs

Bit of a late one last night - Donna and I attended the Chestnut Tree House Christmas Ball and finally got to bed at 2am. However, there was the chance of a bike ride with the boys so the alarm clock was set for 7:30 and I was out of the door fully geared up by just gone 8am. I was joined by Matt, Nigel, Tony, Hilly and Mike from HAT (Horsham Amphibians Triathlon) in addition to a special guest appearance by John from Tuff Fitty Triathlon Club.

As we were were on the mountain bikes we headed up to the top of the Downs for some great riding and a lot of mud. There was a lot of sliding around but fortunately we all stayed upright. I peeled off after about 2 and a quarter hours to head for home down my favourite technical singletrack via Wiston. Total about 2 and half hours on the bike with around 35km in the bank. Excellent fun and great company. The only downside was cleaning the bike, which probably took 30 mins - well worth the effort though as the 'Black Beauty' (Elsworth Epiphany) is ready to roll when I get the next invitation.

The fitness didn't stop there as I took my son to a swimming party at the old Worthing pool and managed to get a dip myself. A good 30-40 mins of the 50m length pool.

On the way home stopped at Sainsbury for mulled wine, chestnuts, Michael Buble's new Christmas album - all that is needed after a great active day - now for some family time and an opportunity to put up the Christmas tree.

N.B. Sorry - still no data on the ride as my Garmin still playing up, hope to have the problem rectified soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment