Tuesday 13 December 2011

Wind and more wind - training continues

Last night I spent some of the evening fixing mudguards to my winter race bike ready for today's commute to work. I woke to heavy winds and a forecast for further bad weather during the day. Therefore I abandoned my plans for the ride into work and picked up my running gear so as not to miss a day's training.

At lunch time I ventured out for a 45 min easy run in zone 2. I headed down to the coast from our office near Brighton station and after doing a lap of the pier (just to view the crashing waves) I ran towards Brighton Marina, probably not the smartest move, as that direction was very much with the wind. Fine on the way out, I was going quite well, not suprisingly. However, when I turned around for the return leg it was a slightly different story. Running against the wind was very tough and my speed dropped considerably (trying to keep in the low end of zone 2). In addition the sea spray was like having acupuncture in the face.

Anyway, I shouldn't moan. Training completed as planned - I ended up doing about 10km in 55 mins, which given the conditions was fine. I still plan to get in at least one commute on the bike this week, just have to juggle the schedule.

Off to a networking event tonight and the main speaker is Kevin Betts, who recently ran 52 marathons in one year all in under 4 hours - I am looking forward to hearing his story. His blog link is http://www.52marathons.co.uk/blog/3

No comments:

Post a Comment