Tuesday 20 December 2011

The beauty of cross-training

Woke up this morning with tired legs (no change since Sunday) - definitely not up for running.

Not to worry... The plan was a 2 hour bike ride (commute to Brighton).

Despite having sore legs I felt pretty good on the bike - the beauty of cross-training. On the hour journey into work I managed to include 3x intervals (approx. 8-10 mins each) of fast tempo (RPM 90-100; average speed above 30km/h) broken up by 5 mins of recovery - much more like a proper training session rather than a simple commute.

Then a re-scheduled meeting (Tue to Thu) immediately through the training plan out of kilter. However, thinking this good happen I was adequately prepared with swimming gear at the ready. So this lunchtime I headed down to the local public pool (Prince Regent in Brighton) for a 45 min session. I lost count a little but think I managed around 1,600m. The main set was 8x 100m front-crawl with increasing speed (slow - easy - steady - fast) within each 4 lengths. 30 seconds rest, then repeat. Beforehand I completed a 400m warm up and after a number of 25m sprints followed by a cool down.

Back on the bike for the return leg home later today. Probably just steady in zone 2. Hopefully the legs will be ready for a little running action tomorrow, with the first of the run sessions of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment