Wednesday 4 April 2012

Out with the TT bike - aero position time!

So it is the 'Big Bike' week and since Monday I have already logged approx 4:45 hours in the saddle with a commute of 1 hour tonight to come. Unfortuately I missed the Monday swim and a brief transition run last night so it has really been all about the bike. However, my plan is to leave the office early enough tonight to get home (easy pace ride) and then attend the Wednesday Club 1:30 swim session.

Today's instructions from Coach MT was to maintain a Z2-3 effort in the aero position for at least 90mins. Route selection was key - I needed a relatively flat stretch of road but to save time tried to build it into my daily commute.

I opted to head for Worthing, via a little detour to Goring, and then along the Coast road to Brighton. Given the early start I could make good use of the cycle lanes, which are never that busy at 6-7am, and avoid some of the stop-start at traffic lights and roundabouts on the main road.

Out came the TT bike (my Omega titanium Stealth), which is my bike of choice for IM Austria. You always feel a little faster when riding the TT bike and today was no exception. I was quite happily cycling along at 30kmph plus, sometimes reaching 40kmph and probably averaging around 34kmph (have to check when I download to Training Peaks). I have been tweaking my position on the TT bike since raising the cockpit / aero bars to ensure a better headset fit. I am finding it easier to remain in the aero position for a greater length of time without too much discomfort, although at the moement this has been limited to rides of 1.5 to 2 hours. I expect Coach MT has a lot more specific and longer bike sessions planned for me on the TT bike over the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed this morning's ride. I expect I will get a few funny looks on the way home if I decide to use the cycle lane along Brighton seafront. It is not that often you see a cyclist in the aero position - probably a bit risky pushing the speeds up on the busier commute home.

N.B. A few good cyclists out this morning. I did overtake a number but a couple managed to tuck in behind my back wheel - I hope they enjoyed the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment