Monday 20 February 2012

Big week coming up - less than 20 weeks to go!

With less than 20 weeks to go until IM Austria my plan is moving into another gear and this week is a big one with around 14 hours of training scheduled.

Before I share some of the sessions for the forthcoming week let us take a quick look at the previous 7 days:

Total volume was 11 hours including 3 swims (3hrs 15 mins), 3 runs (2hrs 40 mins) and the rest on the bike (mix of turbo, intervals, commuting, long zone 2). During the faster run interval work I was somewhat concerned that I picked up an injury - some weakness in the ankle. However, the way the plan is structured I have had plenty of opportunity to rest it and fortunately had no problem since. My swimming was better last week, which was partly down to the extra swim and also re-use of my old rubber shorts, which provides a little more buoyancy but still allows some leg movement. I was struggling a bit yesterday on the time to get out on and complete a 3.5 hour zone 2 ride, mainly because I had planned a family trip journey down to Dorchester, leaving from my house at 10am. So in true 'Ironman' fashion I set the alarm for 5:45am and was on the bike for 6am. I managed a 3hour 15 min ride on an undulating course via Petworth, Amberley, Pulborough and Billingshurst (approx 75-80km).

So onto this week - well without getting into the detail (there is a lot - each session has very specific objectives and instructions):

Mon - Run: Z1 recovery (30mins) / Club Swim (1hr)
Tue - Bike: Z3 TT position (1hr 15mins) / Strength work (30mins)
Wed - Run: Z1-2 strides (30mins) / Club Swim (1.5hrs)
Thu - Strength work (30mins) / Bike/Strength: Turbo + squats (1hr)
Fri - Swim (45mins)
Sat - Club Swim (1hr) / Run Z1-3 endurance (1.5 hrs)
Sun - Bike: Z2-4 will hill work (4hrs) + transition run (20mins)

Wow!

One other bit of news - a kind family member let me borrow their running treadmill (my garage is now looking more like a gym) - so hope to make use of this new bit of kit, especially on those rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment