Monday 13 February 2012

11th week of training: 20 weeks to IM Austria

First week completed under the new training program. A lot more varied than my previous basic program and much more specific to improving my weaknesses and building strength, which will be important as both the volume and intensity increases.

So the plan was to complete 11 hours 50 mins. I think I managed just under 11 hours. Up to Saturday I was right on track, however the plan for Sunday was a long ride of 3.5 hours. Despite the below freezing conditions my intentions were good and off I went on my mountain bike (roads generally too icy for training). I headed up to the top of the Downs where I think the temperature dropped a few more degrees. I was well 'geared-up' with 2 pairs of gloves, thick 'seal-skin' socks and overshoes together with a few layers covering the rest of my body. I think I looked more like a 'Ninja' going out for a bike ride. Despite all my precautions I was freezing, my finger tips were especially painful. So after 1.5 hours of mountain biking I did what any sensible person would do (not necessarily the Ironman way) and headed for home.

Feeling guilty that I had only completed less than half of my 3.5 hour session I jumped on the turbo for a quality hour session in Zone 2. Generally you can double the time on a turbo compared to outdoor riding, so my thinking was 1 hour on the turbo (worth 2 hours of credit) and 1.5 hours on the mountain bike - making the magic 3.5 hours. I hope my Coach is happy with that - I certainly should get a B+ for effort!

Anyway, onto this week - 11th week and only 20 weeks to go to the big day!!!

No rest day, although the program is much more structured to allow some recovery from the harder sessions. BT - indicates 'Break Through' or key sessions:

Mon - Swim (1 hour) / BT: Strength session (30mins)
Tue - Run (1 hour)
Wed - Cycle: turbo (45 mins) / Swim (1.5 hours)
Thu - Run (30 mins)
Fri - Cycle: turbo (1 hour)
Sat - Swim (1 hour) / Off-road Run (1 hour)
Sun - Cycle (3.5 hours)

Similar volume to last week. For easch session there are very specific instructions as to target HR zones, cadence, strength etc., which I will not go into detail here (may refer to in later blog entries).

Just a couple of tweaks I might have to make (to be agreed with the Coach). He has me on the track with the Club on Tuesday evening (Valentine's Day) - This may not go down so well with Mrs P - so I intend to do this session around lunchtime. I am missing my commuting but realise I need to make them quality training sessions and not 'junk miles'. I will see what the weather is like and how I feel on Friday but may opt for a commute rather than a turbo session. The return leg will be very easy (zone 1) so I am still relatively for Sat / Sun sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment