Monday 21 November 2011

An introduction - Journey to Ironman Austria

A few friends have suggested I should record my journey from a novice triathlete to becoming an Ironman - so here goes!

As an introduction I need to go back about 3-4 years:

Previously I did very little sporting activities, with the exception of some mountain biking, as I am fortunate enough to live very close to the South Downs. At the age of 39 I remember being a little on the heavy side for my size (14 stone) - too many corporate lunches. This was really brought to my attention when my youngest daughter innocently said to me one day: 'Daddy, I still love you, even though you are a bit fat'. With my 40th birthday approaching I decided to make a few changes. I tried running but found it quite hard on the body, so a friend suggested swimming for cross-training, I also made every effort to increase the time on the bike. With a bit of determination to get off my backside and be active together with some better food choices the weight finally started to come off. Once I felt my efforts were being rewarded I suppose I got the 'sporting bug' and wanted new ways to challenge myself and keep in shape. The obvious jump was to find a local triathlon club and train with like-minded driven individuals. After only a relatively short time at the club I was entering some short distance events and enjoying the sport, most importantly my fitness had improved and I was the correct weight for my size (12 stone) - the new improved 'Fit Daddy'. Now certainly going through my mid-life crisis but more interested in carbon / titanium bikes than fast cars. Proud member of the 'MAMILS' Group - 'Middle-aged men in lycra shorts'.

Since getting involved in the sport I have completed a few events, the key races and my times (where appropriate) are listed below:

- Brighton Marathon (2010/11): best time 3:45
- Ironman Antwerp 70.3 (2010): 5:27
- River Arun 3.8km Swim: 1:08
- New Forest 70.3 triathlon (hilly!): 5:54
- Best Half-Marathon time: 1:38
- London 2 Paris Charity ride 2011

It was always my intention to have a go at the big one (full Ironman). Given the expected sporting 'fever' in the run up to the Olympics 2012 it felt the right time to commit - Ironman Austria had a great reputation for being one of the favourites for both first timers and seasoned triathletes - so when entries opened for 2012, the day after the 2011 event, I had about an hour to apply before it sold out. Considering the cost was close to £500 it is just amazing how popular this sport has become.

So with December approaching and some thought to what my 30-week programme will look like (start date: 5th December - 30 weeks to 1st July) I begin my journey.....



No comments:

Post a Comment