Tuesday 29 November 2011

Commuting during the dark winter months

Commuting is generally a bit of a 'no-brainer' - good for me, good for time on the bike (i.e. training), good for my pocket and good for the environment - everyone is a winner. Actually the time difference between car and bike is also not that great - probably an additional 15-30 mins subject to day, time and conditions.

In the summer months I can complete the 28.5km in under an hour (PB around 53mins). As the weather conditions get less favourable and the light starts to disappear the time for the commute tends to increase to about 1:05. This morning I also had to battle the fierce wind, which added on another 10 mins - one of my slowest times on record. However, despite today's windy conditions I still get a buzz from the ride in to Brighton.

I do count myself very lucky in that I do have the opportunity to just simply get on the bike and cycle to work. However many times I have completed the journey, in whatever conditions, I still end up with a big smile on my face, especially when I see the sea.

For those considering commuting in the winter months I recommend an investment in some decent lights (my preference is USE Exposure lights), good warm clothing (layering) and some rubber overshoes and thick cycling gloves.

I also benefit from having an office with a shower and a spare suit and shoes ready for when I arrive, although on more than one occasion my work colleagues have had to put up with my lycra cycling attire for a little more time than they should.

Over the coming weeks I will share more details about my commute - the different routes, how I can vary the intensity and work in different zones, and also my selection of bikes for the route - fortunately I now the have the option of my carbon road bike (as pictured above) or my new aluminium singlespeed / fixed-gear bike (picture to follow).

1 comment:

  1. Great blog - makes me want to try the commute from Washington to Eastbourne. Might go via Btn station though. Ian

    ReplyDelete