Wednesday 4 July 2012

So would I do it again?

I enjoyed an easy swim at the Club last night but cut the session to around 45 mins, which included some kicking drills.

A good number of the Club members were keen to here the 'war stories' of the Ironman event and Matt and I did our best to talk them through our experience. The question that most comes up in discussion is 'would you do it again?'

Personally, I think it has to be 'Yes'. For the most part it has been a very enjoyable journey topped off by a successful race. As you would expect it has had some 'up and downs' but that's life and I think it is how you deal with those high and low points that define you. Looking back on the last few days I am already forgetting about the pain of the run and remembering the great location, good times spent with my friends and wife, excellent food, accommodation and simply being immersed in the special bubble that is the world of 'Ironman'.

In saying 'Yes' to doing another such event in the future I must consider beyond the last few days, which was actually just the 'icing on the cake', the real commitment came from the training and support that was needed from my friends and most importantly family to complete the journey. Before comtemplating another I think that it would only be fair to sit down with my loved ones and remind ourselves of what it involves and the possible sacrifices both them and I are likely going to have to make.

I think I actually got the training, work, family balance about right but what I did find is that it does take over your life in other ways. You cannot seem to get the thought of the training and event out of your head. I started looking at my training diary before my work and social diary and planning everything else around that. I suppose this blog has been a great tool to record my journey but at the same time has made me more concious about the time and energy I was using thinking about triathlon. It is hard to stop it taking over. I expect that is also why it is also hard to let it go, it being such a big part of my life for the last 6-12 months. May be that it why I don't want to say 'No' to the question about another one, because I don't want to lose the structure and feeling it has given me - this is getting deep!!

All I do know is that it is probably healthy to take a break and for that reason alone I do not expect to do another full 'Ironman' event in the next year. However, there are plenty of other challenges and more 'bitesize' goals I need to plan and achieve in relation to health/fitness, work/career, and family/home that I am looking forward to.

In relation to this blog... Well I have another few posts to write and final topics to cover and then I suppose I will have to bring it to the end.

However, I know it is just the end of chapter and not the end of my triathlon journey. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment